Scholarships and Awards
AAD Annual Meeting Registration Scholarship Program
The International Affairs Committee of the American Academy of Dermatology offers attendance scholarships to international dermatologists to encourage their participation at the Academy’s Annual Meeting. The scholarships are limited to two applicants per country and include complimentary registration for the meeting, admission to one post-graduate ticketed session and an invitation to a dinner with AAD leadership. More information can be found here.
Nominations will be made by the DSS Exco. Dermatology trainees may also apply and will be given preference. Previous scholarship recipients are not eligible.
Applications should be addressed to the Honorary Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following details: full name & NRIC, email, phone contact, year of dermatology training, previous reception of scholarships from AAD or Neutrogena-DSS and the abstract of the study to be presented (if any).
DSS Education Grant
The Dermatological Society of Singapore supports the continuing medical education of members through the DSS Education grant. This grant provides members with support to participate in dermatological conferences held locally and internationally. The grant call occurs every 6 months and this has been made possible by the contribution of pharmaceutical companies.
Guidelines for the award:
- Applications are open to all members of the Society for attending meetings held in Singapore.
- Applications are open only to ordinary members for attending meetings held overseas.
- Priority shall be given to applicants who will be presenting papers at the meeting.
- Criteria for selection include contribution to the Society such as participation in committee work of the Society and giving lectures or presentations at Society’s meetings and attendance at Society’s events.
- A member shall not receive more than one award per calendar year from the Society.
- All additional funds applied for/received must be disclosed on the application form and any funds subsequently received must be disclosed.
- Applications shall be opened to members every 6 months and the closing dates for submission of applications shall be 31 March and 30 September of each year.
- Applicants will be notified 4 – 6 weeks after the closing date.
- The grant will only cover registration fee or part thereof, to a maximum sum of S$750 per applicant.
- The executive committee of the Society will administer the educational fund and decisions of the committee are final.
DSS Book Prize
This yearly prize was started in 1974 to award the final year medical student with the best score in the dermatology examination.
V S Rajan Gold Medal
This award is presented in memory of the late Professor V S Rajan after his death in 1983. It is awarded to the final year medical student with outstanding results in the dermatology examination conducted by the National University of Singapore.
V S Rajan Memorial Fund
This was set up in August 1983 to honour and commemorate the late Professor V S Rajan who had contributed greatly to the advancement of dermatology and venereology in Singapore. Professor Rajan was the President of the Dermatological Society of Singapore from 1979 to 1981. The fund provides grants for members of the medical and allied professions to conduct research in the field of dermatology.